Monday, April 20, 2015

Pondering Continued.

I am feeling quite existential after launching the creative writing project that I am encouraging *ahem, or forcing* some of the people around me to participate in. (As my brother said, "You're giving US an assignment?" Yes, Chase...it is for the benefit of your own self-awareness. Some girl in the future will thank me for it.) The veracity & speed of some of the responses I have already read has reinforced my thinking that the preponderance of deep thinking is something that so many of us do naturally, but may never discuss or share with others. The journal will start to make its first interstate journey (hopefully) by the end of this week. 

In other news, I saw this video today that brought one of my coworkers (a relatively new mom, unsurprisingly) to tearing up. While we riffed a bit about trying a more comical version of this activity with other kids, the concept that we learn to recognize one another based on much more than sight resonated too. Would I be able to "sniff out" the people I care about most, as one child did? Unlikely...as I would not be apt to want to use that technique, but could I figure out people based on other qualities? I would like to hope so. How do we tell people apart? What causes people to be so unique? I'm starting to wax cliche, so I'm capping that off, while I let my mind wander.

After talking to my professional mentor and being inspired by what she has done, I started to write back to the responses I got to my "Something I wish my teacher knew..." notes. I found myself thinking back to the activity I did a few months ago...I felt like there was a divide or imperceptible separation between my care for my class and their perception. I wrote individualized compliments to each child, and dug deep. This new response of responding to what they wish I knew is, as Dave encourages me every time I see him, helping me to become a better teacher each day. While this year has by far had its ups and downs, I don't know if I have ever felt so needed or emotionally connected to a class of unique human beings. & never do I think I have had such a deeply introspective crew of young adults. With only a few weeks left in the year, I cannot wait to see what these kids do with their passion projects and action...& I cannot wait to see them in 10 years, when they have really started spreading the impact of their lives to others.

Enough shop talk for one day...I have noticed a significant uptick in the number of spiritual conversations I have had lately as well. I am so thankful that there are people surrounding me that are willing to share deeply personal struggles and the seed thoughts from God helping them through those struggles to daily victories. I am grateful for people who are readily moved to show appreciation & care for others even by reaching out to share a thought too. I hope some days I am unknowingly that person for others, but not by my own strength or words.

I have been reminiscing about Grandpa the past few days and reflecting on how quickly natural strength ebbed and how much more quickly I felt close to him as a direct result of his willingness to be vulnerable & depend on others for natural needs, as he confirmed his settlement spiritually. I am now down to a single living grandparent. It is an unusual feeling, and one that stings of a desire to know more about those I have lost, and more still about those that I have not yet. Who knows how long any of us have & I have been reminded time and again this year of the need to "Carpe diem," as my favorite high school English teacher would say.


I'm off to nurse this sunburn I got at the track meet today as the result of stupidity & go look at pictures of an adorable new baby cousin...au revoir for now.

Parting question: How do you measure success?

Songspiration (of the mellow variety today):
Here We Are - Partrick Park
I Remember - Whitley
We are the Tide - Blind Pilot
And Then You - Greg Laswell
Boy with a Coin - Iron & Wine
September - Earth, Wind & Fire (because who doesn't like flashbacks to dancing with their dad in the living room?)
Chain - Fleetwood Mac
You are my Sunshine - Copeland (because this is the song Grandpa E always sang to us & I'm feeling nostalgic today)
Budapest - George Ezra (in case you live under a rock & missed this gem)

Goofy Links:
Fritz Learns to Catch (because our team used it to show what perseverance looks like to the kids)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ains, love you so much!

    ReplyDelete